- Oracle because of legal name.
Brendan Eich was an employee of Netscape Communications Corporation commonly known as Netscape. Later, Netscape faced its downfall and was acquired by AOL in 1999 and was disolved in 2003. It was the Google of its time.
Use of our client's trademark in such a manner constitutes trademark infringement in violation of the Lanham Act. 15 U.S.C. § 1125(a)(1)(A).
In order to prevent further consumer confusion and infringement of our client's intellectual property rights, we request that you immediately disable access to this app. We look forward to your confirmation that you have complied with this request."
- SpiderMonkey (the original engine)
- Rhino (made by Norris Boyd, also an employee of Netscape)
- V8 (by Google as a part of Chrome browser)
- SquirrelFish or Nitro (by Apple for Safari)
- Chakra (by Microsoft for Internet Explorer)
- Carakan (by Opera)
and many more.
So, who is the Owner?
The word "JavScript" is a trademark of Oracle so all engines are at the mergy of Oracle.
- Oracle because of legal name