IIEST Shibpur is an Engineering Institute of National Importance in India located in the state of West Bengal. It is the 4th oldest Engineering University in India and ranked among the best Indian Universities. IIEST stands for "Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology".
- 4th Oldest Engineering Institute in India
- Consistently among top 20 Engineering Institutes in India
- Among top 2 Engineering Institute in the state of West Bengal of India
- First Institute in the category of IIEST. Upgraded to this category in 2014.
|Founded on:||24 November 1856|
|Located||Shibpur, West Bengal, India|
|Best Departments||Civil Engineering, Computer Science,|
|# of Students||4206 (as of 2022)|
|# of Teachers||263 (as of 2022)|
|Rank in India||Among top 20 in Engineering|
|Rank in State||2nd in West Bengal|
|Entrance exam||JEE Mains, GATE|
|Known for||4th oldest Engineering University|
Table of contents:
- Entrance Examinations
- Ranking of IIEST, Shibpur
- Buildings at IIEST, Shibpur
- Computer Science at IIEST, Shibpur
- Location of IIEST, Shibpur (How to reach?)
- Tourist Attractions near IIEST, Shibpur
IIEST, Shibpur conducts several professional courses and the admission examination vary accordingly. Following is the detail:
|B.Tech + B.Sc||JEE Main|
|M.Tech, M.Sc, PhD||GATE|
Some of the core subjects at IIEST, Shibpur are:
- Computer Science and Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Mechnical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Non Engineering courses: Humanities, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
Ranking of IIEST, Shibpur
Ranking of IIEST, Shibpur by NIRF in Engineering Nation-wide:
|Year||Rank in India|
As we see IIEST, Shibpur used to consistently rank around 20 in India but in 2021, the rank fell. Still, it is considered as one of the premium Engineering Universities in India.
NIRF stands for National Institutional Ranking Framework and is a government body that ranks Institutes in different fields based on different parameters. This is the most reliable ranking methodology in India.
Buildings at IIEST, Shibpur
Buildings at IIEST Shibpur:
- Main Academic Building: 4 story building at the front with HR management, Office of Dean and Office of Controller of Examinations + Many Engineering Departments like Electical Engineering department.
- Science and Technology Building: Science and Management departments, Office of Vice Chancellor, Office of Dean, Registrar, Financial and Administrative offices.
- Ramanujan Central Library: Main library of IIEST from 1857. Indian Physicist Jagadish Chandra Bose used to spend his time in the library.
- Workshop Complex: Carpentry Shop, Smithy shop, Welding and Painting shop, Fitting shop, Machine shop, Pattern shop, Electric shop, Automobile shop and much more. Open to students.
- Health Service: 24-7 Hospital for emergency needs and isolation wards for students suffering from infectious diseases like Chicken Pox and COVID-19.
- Gymnasium: Exclusive Gym for students. Slater Hall: Music club, Debate club, Photography club, Innovation center and much more.
- Hostels: 16 Hostels for boys namely Downing Hall, Richardson Hall, Wolfenden Hall, Sengupta Hall, Sen Hall, Macdonald Hall, A.C Roy Hall, D Banerjee Hall, B Sen Hall, AK Sen Hall, and many more. 3 Hostels for Girls namely Lt Williams Hall of Residence, Pandya Hall and Sister Nivedita Ladies Hostel
Computer Science at IIEST, Shibpur
IIEST, Shibpur is known nationally for its Civil and Mechanical Engineering Department due to its contributions in the 20th Century but it has a strong Computer Science Department.
There are around 265 students in Computer Science department at a time:
- Around 50 students each year of B. Tech course. There are 4 years ~200 students
- Around 25 students in M. Tech (2 years) ~ 50 students
- Around 15 students in PhD overall
There are four Computer Science laboraries exclusive for the department and students can use them even beyond assigned classes.
The choice of optional subjects in the Computer Science department is exceptional and one of the best in the country. If one choose the correct subjects, future is bright.
Location of IIEST, Shibpur (How to reach?)
The complete address of IIEST, Shibpur is:
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology,
Botanical Garden Road, Botanical Garden Area,
Howrah, West Bengal
How to reach IIEST, Shibpur?
- From Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport (Airport of Kolkata), take a Taxi to drop at IIEST, Shibpur directly. Cost: ~600 INR. Duration: ~ 1.5 hours.
- From Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport (Airport of Kolkata), take a direct Bus from No. 1 bus stop (just outside Airport) to IIEST, Shibpur (Bus: B. Garden). Cost: 50 INR. Time: 2.5 hours.
- From Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport (Airport of Kolkata): Take 2 bus. First Bus from Airport to Howrah Railway Station and Second bus from Howrah Railway Station to IIEST, Shibpur. Cost: 60 INR. Time: 2 hours.
- From Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport (Airport of Kolkata): If you take AC bus from Airport to Howrah Railway Station and from Howrah Railway Station to IIEST, Shibpur. Cost: 150 INR. Time: 2 hours.
Tourist Attractions near IIEST, Shibpur
IIEST Shibpur is located on the banks of River Ganga and the river can be seen from the buildings of the Institute. There are two major ponds within the Institute as well.
- Distance: 10 minutes walking distance (250 meters)
- Attraction: Various types of trees, plants, flowers, Jungle, Over 300 years old Trees
- Time to explore: 5 hours
Other major attractions are:
- Victoria Memorial: A marble building, takes around 15 minutes by Taxi.
- Indian Museum:
- Nandan: Film and cultural center in Kolkata, direct bus available.
- Alipoor Zoological Garden: A zoological park, takes around 30 minutes to reach by Taxi.
With this article at OpenGenus, you must have the complete idea of IIEST Shibpur: Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology.