In India, Working Professionals can pursue a Part-time PhD in Computer Science in selective Universities including IITs and NITs. This is an unique opportunity that will allow you to advance in your education while keeping your 9-5 full time job.
We have covered the basics of Part-time PhD in India in Computer Science along with Indian Institutes / Universities offering this opportunity.
Table of content:
- Overview of Part-time PhD in India in Computer Science
- Indian Institutes offering Part-time PhD
- Timeline for applying for part-time PhD in CS in India
Let us read on to help you take the next big step in your career.
Overview of Part-time PhD in India in Computer Science
Conditions/ Requirements to do Part-time PhD in Computer Science in India:
- You should be working in a Company whose head office is within a radius of 50 KM from your target University. If this is the case, then you do not need any leave.
- If your office is beyond 50 KM from your University, then you need to take leave for 4 semesters (~ 1.5 year). For the rest of the semesters, you can visit your advisors in every 3 months once.
- You need to take written permission from your Company that they will provide paid leave if needed and they have no objection. This is needed during application.
- You need to have a Bachelors' degree with 2 years of work experience OR a Masters' degree. The exact requirement varies across Universities.
- You need not appear for a national examination like GATE. You will have to appear for an interview with Professors at your University and may have to appear for a written test at the University as well.
Indian Institutes offering Part-time PhD
Universities in India that offer Part-time PhD for working professionals:
- Selective IITs
- Selective NITs
- Private Universities
- Completely online PhDs by education companies or Universities [not recommended]
IITs offering Part-time PhD in Computer Science are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi: (Apply Link)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar (Apply Link)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Goa (Apply Link)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (Apply Link)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bhilai (Apply Link)
- Indian Insitute of Technology, Kharagpur (Apply Link)
Private Universities in India offering Part-time PhD program in Computer Science:
- Chandigarh University
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida
Completely online PhDs by education companies or Universities based in India:
- BITS, Pilani [not recommended]
As a rule of thumb, do not go for completely online part-time PhD unless you want just a degree certificate.
The fees of part-time PhD program range from Rs 25,000 to Rs 40,000 per semester. The admission fee is around Rs 50,000 and is one-time.
Timeline for applying for part-time PhD in CS in India
The application time is around: April of every year
The first round of selection results is around June every year.
Following this, you need to appear for various rounds which includes:
- written test
- interview with a panel of Professors
These process will take place from June to July of the year.
Upon final selection, results will be announced around August of the year.
The exact dates vary across Universities and you need to keep track of Universities you are interested in. Plan ahead and apply on time. Go for it wisely.