AMD has been in the semiconductor industry since 1969 with multiple ups and downs. Since 2015, AMD has demonstrated record performance and established its position as a market leader.
In this article at OpenGenus, we have listed the different job levels and grades at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) (technical ladder at AMD) along with corresponding annual salary and average experience. This table will help you grow in your career at AMD.
Table of contents:
- Career opportunity at AMD
- Job Levels at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices)
- Some employees at AMD
- There are over 30,000 employees at AMD with 14 job levels worldwide.
- AMD follows a hierarchical job structure.
- AMD has a large group of long tenured employees (with 10+ years of service).
Several employees dream of working at AMD today. The technical ladder at AMD in this OpenGenus article has been verified by multiple AMD employees independently.
Career opportunity at AMD
AMD is a leading semi-conductor multi-national company started in 1969. In early 2000s, AMD dominance fell down but since 2015, AMD made a strong comeback and revive its legacy and dominance.
AMD's strength lies in CPU, GPU, FPGA, Gaming workloads and AI workloads and gives a tough competition to Intel and NVIDIA. AMD's market cap is $166.12 Billion. AMD has 35% of CPU market, 17.5% of GPU market and 50% of FPGA market share.
AMD has over 30,000 employees and is growing rapidly. This makes AMD a perfect company to grow your career in the semiconductor AI market.
AMD follows a hierarchical job structure. You will report to your direct manager and multiple other employees report to the same manager. Your manager will in return report to a senior manager.
AMD is known to hire actively in USA, India and China.
Job Levels at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices)
Beyond level 5, AMD employees make a decision to either continue with the technical track or move to Manager track. At level 5, the technical role is "Member of Technical Staff" and the corresponding Managerial role is "Manager".
Before level 5, people work as an individual contributor at AMD. It has been noticed employees get promotion every 2 years in their initial career at AMD. Some employees who are unable to demonstrate performance get stuck in level 5 and 6 for multiple years (10+ years).
Following is the complete list of Job levels at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices):
Job levels at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices)
|Level||Job Title||Salary||Avg. Experience|
|1||Intern||$20K to $50K||Student|
|2||Contractor||$30K to $80K||1 year+|
|3||System Design Engineer (SDE)|
Silicon Design Engineer (SDE)
Analog Design Engineer (ADE)
|$35K to $95K||0 to 2 years|
BSc students join at this level.
|4||System Design Engineer II (SDE 2),|
|$50K to $115K||2 to 4 years|
MSc students join at this level.
|$65K to $130K||4 to 6 years|
|6||Member of Technical Staff (MTS)|
|$90K to $150K||6 to 10 years|
PhD students join at this level.
|$100K to $165K||9 to 14 years|
|8||Principal MTS (PMTS)|
|$115K to $180K||14 to 20 years|
|$130K to $200K||18 to 26 years|
|$150K to $230K||25 to 20 years|
|$210K to $300+||27+ years|
|13||Vice President||$700+||30+ years|
|14||Senior Vice President|
C-suite roles like CEO, CTO
Some employees at AMD
Several employees at AMD are known to give over 10+ years of service. This makes AMD one of the few large technology companies to have a large group of long tenured employees.
Some of the key employees at AMD are:
- Michael Wong is a Principal MTS at AMD (Menlo Park office) (Job grade 8). He holds a PhD from University of California, Berkeley.
- Murad Qasaimeh is a MTS at AMD (San Jose office) (Job grade 6). He holds a PhD in Computer Engineering as well.
- Timothy Palka is a Manager at AMD (Orlando office) (Job grade 8). He has given 11 years of service to AMD.
- Shrisha Hegde is a Software Development Engineer II at AMD (San Jose office) (Jon grade 4). He joined the position directly after completing MSc from San Jose State University.
- Curtis Wickman is a Senior Fellow at AMD (Boston office) (Job grade 10). He has given 17 years of service to AMD and has a total work experience of 26 years.
- Nathan Kalyanasundharam is a Corporate Fellow at AMD (San Jose office) (Job grade 11). He has given 21 years of service to AMD and has a total work experience of 31 years. He hold a B.Tech degree from NIT, Kurukshetra (1990) and a MSc from Texas A&M University (1994).
- Steven Hesley is a Corporate Vice President at AMD (Texas office) (Job grade 13). He has give 32 years of service to AMD and has joined AMD directly after his BSc in 1992.
- David Wang is a Senior Vice President of AMD Radeon Technologies Group (Santa Clara office) (Job grade 14). He has given 12 years of service to AMD and has a total work experience of 34 years.
With this article at OpenGenus.org, you must have a strong idea of the different job levels and grades at AMD and career growth opportunities. Grow your career.