In this article, we have explained and presented 7 commands to delete a Conda environment permanently. We can delete a conda environment either by name or by path.
Table of contents:
- Step 1: Find the Conda environment to delete
- Step 2: Get out of the environment
- Step 3: Delete the Conda Environment (6 commands)
- Delete Directory directly?
- Why to delete a Conda environment?
Step 1: Find the Conda environment to delete
To find the name of the environment you want to delete, we can get the list of all Conda environments as follows:
conda env list
Let the name of the environment to be delete is
Step 2: Get out of the environment
You cannot delete the conda environment you are within. To get out of the current environment, use the command:
Step 3: Delete the Conda Environment (6 commands)
If the name of the environment to be delete is
corrupted_env, then use the following command to delete it:
conda env remove -n corrupted_env
conda env remove --name corrupted_env
Alternatively, we can use the following command:
conda remove --name corrupted_env --all
conda remove -n corrupted_env --all
If you have the path where a conda environment is located, you can directly specify the path instead of name of the conda environment. In this case, the command will be:
conda env remove -p /path/to/env
conda env remove --prefix /path/to/env
Delete Directory directly?
It is not advised to delete the directory directly where the conda environment is stored. In some cases, it might be necessary so the steps are:
- Find the path of the conda environment using:
conda info --envs
- Delete the directory directly:
rm -rf /Users/username/.local/share/conda/envs/corrupted_env
Why to delete a Conda environment?
You may need to delete a conda environment for the following reasons:
- To free space: Conda environments consume space and you may eventually, run out of space on your system. To free space, you can delete conda environments you do not want.
- Delete a corrupted environment: Conda environments get corrupted easily and it is often, easier to start from scratch by creating a new environment. In this case, you will want to delete the corrupted conda environment to stay safe.
- Good practice: It is a good practice to delete the conda environments you do not need.
With this article at OpenGenus, you must have the complete idea of how to delete a conda environment.